LU.2: HOST COUNTRY LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY METHODOLOGIES AND INTEGRATION
The aim of this unit is to provide tutors with the tools to assess the existing level of language proficiency of learners in their family’s home language as well as in the main language of the host country. This will enable tutors to identify language needs and devise appropriate methods to develop language acquisition in order to facilitate integration.
Tutors should be able to use practical and embedded activities to assess levels of language use in families and use the results to implement appropriate teaching programmes.
By the end of this unit, learners should be able to:
- Facilitate identification of the existing proficiencies of pupils and their families in the main language of the host country.
- Facilitate identification of the existing proficiencies of pupils and their families in other languages.
- Build an understanding of the primary language needs to facilitate integration.
The practical activities for this Learning Unit can be accessed here.
- Lectures 10
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 7 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 11
- Certificate No
- Assessments Self
- Learning Unit 2 – Introduction
- Learning a language for the purposes of integration
- Supporting language acquisition
- Language requirements in host country
- Language requirements for engagement in education
- Testing and developing proficiency
- Key Practice Points – 1
- Key Practice Points – 2
- Test LU.2
- Additional resources