LU.5: ADDITIONAL LANGUAGE ACQUISITION THROUGH FAMILY LEARNING
The aim of this units to provide teachers, school leaders and educators from organizations working with migrants with the necessary knowledge and methodologies about the teaching of the host country language by means of family learning methods and resources.
By the end of this unit, learners should be able to:
- Understand the range of backgrounds that learners from migrant backgrounds bring to their classes
- Identify their motivations, expectations, personal and familiar factors and how these may affect language learning
- Identify and apply family learning methods for the teaching of an additional language
- Set out common expectations and acceptable forms of behaviour that do not discriminate or exclude others.
The practical activities for this Learning Unit can be accessed here.
- Lectures 15
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 7 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 8
- Certificate No
- Assessments Yes
- Learning Unit 5 – Introduction
- Family language learning programmes
- Target users
- Family Learning for target users
- How does Motivation affect additional language acquisition?
- How do Opportunities for interaction affect additional language acquisition?
- How does Vocabulary affect additional language acquisition?
- What are some Considerations for teaching language through family learning?
- Learning objectives of the language acquisition programme
- Open or closed entry systems
- The Structure of Family Learning language classes
- Approaches for family learning programmes (1)
- Approaches for family learning programmes (2)
- Test LU.5
- ADDITIONAL RESOURCES